- Among practitioners of Zen Buddhism and vipassana meditation, women were authorized to teach relatively soon after men.
- Stephen Batchelor is a former Buddhist monk who has studied under both Zen and Tibetan masters.
- Japanese schools other than Zen are also well represented in the West.
Zen Buddhism was introduced to Japan from China in the 12th century, and has had a profound cultural influence. The aim of Zen is to achieve sudden enlightenment (satori) through meditation in a seated posture (zazen), usually under the guidance of a teacher and often using paradoxical statements (koans) to transcend rational thought
Zenist (also Zennist) noun ( rare )
- More example sentences
- The struggle to be tolerant in Zennist terms is the ability to accept there is a good life available.
- Some Zennists teach that we should repress our thoughts and be like a dead tree.
- Overcoming these two sufferings will help Zenists to attain happiness and the Great Enlightenment.
Definition of Zen in:
- The US English dictionary