- 1A member of a light-infantry corps in the French army, originally of Algerians and long retaining their oriental uniform.More example sentences
- In an attempt to avoid further bloodshed Pius asked his own army, the Zouaves, to lay down their arms, fled the Quirinal (papal palace) and shut himself up in the Vatican.
- Her father, Jules-Joseph, a retired army captain of the Zouaves who had lost a leg in the Italian wars, was a tax-collector with local political aspirations.
- Assigned to the 12th Regiment of Zouaves, Folcher had spent much of the Phoney War on exercises, moving around frequently and eventually being assigned in March to a sector of the line behind the Ardennes.
mid 19th century: from French, from Kabyle Zouaoua, the name of a tribe.
More definitions of ZouaveDefinition of Zouave in:
- The US English dictionary