(also A-okay) North American informal
Definition of A-OK in English:
In good order or condition; all right: everything will be A-OK an A-OK sign
More example sentences
- So the account or the tax preparer would often help out in terms of structuring a return in order to look as though it was A-OK.
- Wide open highways on which I can drive 90 are A-okay, on the other hand.
- The university administration argues that participation rates in Ontario and Alberta - two of the several provinces that experienced massive increases over the past ten years or so - haven't gone down, proving everything is A-okay.
adverbBack to top
In a good manner or way; all right: we hit it off A-OK
More example sentences
- I mean, I'd have felt a bit guilty for ordering a sandwich with a pile of fatty, fried bacon, but somehow ordering a club sandwich makes it feel A-OK!
- I came home too sick to eat (be shocked now!) because I was so worried about Ozzy but finally figured out the problem so that's A-okay.
- Took care of some spots that have been water collection areas and all should be A-OK moving forward.
1960s (originally an astronauts' term): from all systems OK.
Words that rhyme with A-OKaffray, agley, aka, allay, Angers, appellation contrôlée, array, assay, astray, au fait, auto-da-fé, away, aweigh, aye, bay, belay, betray, bey, Bombay, Bordet, boulevardier, bouquet, brae, bray, café au lait, Carné, cassoulet, Cathay, chassé, chevet, chez, chiné, clay, convey, Cray, crème brûlée, crudités, cuvée, cy-pres, day, decay, deejay, dégagé, distinguée, downplay, dray, Dufay, Dushanbe, eh, embay, engagé, essay, everyday, faraway, fay, fey, flay, fray, Frey, fromage frais, gainsay, Gaye, Genet, giclee, gilet, glissé, gray, grey, halfway, hay, heigh, hey, hooray, Hubei, Hué, hurray, inveigh, jay, jeunesse dorée, José, Kay, Kaye, Klee, Kray, Lae, lay, lei, Littré, Lough Neagh, lwei, Mae, maguey, Malay, Mallarmé, Mandalay, Marseilles, may, midday, midway, mislay, misplay, Monterrey, Na-Dene, nay, né, née, neigh, Ney, noway, obey, O'Dea, okay, olé, outlay, outplay, outstay, outweigh, oyez, part-way, pay, Pei, per se, pince-nez, play, portray, pray, prey, purvey, qua, Quai d'Orsay, Rae, rangé, ray, re, reflet, relevé, roman-à-clef, Santa Fé, say, sei, Shar Pei, shay, slay, sleigh, sley, spae, spay, Spey, splay, spray, stay, straightaway, straightway, strathspey, stray, Sui, survey, sway, Taipei, Tay, they, today, tokay, Torbay, Tournai, trait, tray, trey, two-way, ukiyo-e, underlay, way, waylay, Wei, weigh, wey, Whangarei, whey, yea
Definition of A-OK in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.