A nocturnal badger-sized burrowing mammal of Africa, with long ears, a tubular snout, and a long extensible tongue, feeding on ants and termites. Also called antbear.
- Orycteropus afer, the only member of the family Orycteropidae and order Tubulidentata
More example sentences
- All the animals had gathered there - giraffes, hippos, antelope, buffalo, warthogs, zebras, aardvarks, hyenas, mongooses, storks and weaver birds.
- They also sometimes roost in the burrows of other mammals such as hedgehogs, porcupines, and aardvarks.
- Aardvarks can travel as far as 16 km a night, visiting termite mounds.
late 18th century: from South African Dutch, from aarde 'earth' + vark 'pig'.
Definition of aardvark in:
- The US English dictionary