noun (plural aardwolves /-wʊlvz/)
A black-striped nocturnal African mammal that feeds mainly on termites.
- Proteles cristatus, family Hyaenidae
More example sentences
- Aardvarks and aardwolves have this typical eutherian construction.
- The aardwolf is a undoubted termite specialist, lapping up exposed workers assembled along foraging trails.
- Even if pangolins are the sister group of carnivores, aardwolves are well nested within Carnivora in the family Hyaenidae.
mid 19th century: from South African Dutch, from aarde 'earth' + wolf 'wolf'.
More definitions of aardwolfDefinition of aardwolf in:
- The US English dictionary