Definition of abacus in English:
noun (plural abacuses)
1A simple device for calculating, consisting of a frame with rows of wires or grooves along which beads are slid.
- An abacus with 5 beads per wire will do quite nicely.
- Our eventual aim is to display the complete history of computing, from the abacus to the latest machines.
- A young man sat against the wall doing calculation with an abacus and recording data onto paper.
2 Architecture The flat slab on top of a capital, supporting the architrave.
- The abacus is between the architrave and the aechinus in the capital.
- The capital displays on three of its faces a single naked male dancer, whose head is positioned on the central axis, midway between volutes, as if to form a console supporting the abacus.
- The waterleaf is a broad, unribbed, tapering leaf curving up towards the angle of the abacus and turned in at the top.
Definition of abacus in:
- US English dictionary