- 1The action of abating or being abated; ending or subsiding: this trend shows no sign of abatementSynonymssubsiding, dying down/away/out, dropping off/away, lessening, easing (off), decrease, diminishing, moderation, decline, declining, fade, dwindling, cooling off, tailing off, petering out, tapering off, wane, waning, ebb, relenting, desisting, weakeninglessening, decrease, moderation, easing, softening, soothing, relief, blunting, deadening, alleviation, mitigation, mollification, allaying, assuagement, palliation, tempering, appeasement, attenuationdecrease, reduction, lowering
- 1.1 Law The reduction or removal of a nuisance: [as modifier]: it was resolved to serve an abatement noticeMore example sentences
- A single case of noise-induced hearing loss might be the trigger for intensified noise abatement.
- But victims complain that it takes a long time to obtain a noise abatement notice requiring their neighbours to turn down the volume.
- The pub was served with the noise abatement order after a resident of a neighbouring housing development complained to the council.