1(In the New Testament) God as father: ‘Abba, Father,’ he said, ‘all things are possible to you’
More example sentences
- The most important thing is the presence of God with us, and loving this Abba as we are first loved.
- We are all born to this Abba who takes us in regardless of our birthright, race, gender, language, or social status.
- But now only God is to be addressed as abba, stripping the legitimation from existing patriarchal institutions and implicitly undermining all relationships of domination.
2 (abba) Indian Father (often as a familiar form of address in Muslim families).
- Great respect is shown the father or abba, and mother, amma.
- When her father asked if she would like to see a photograph of the man she would marry, Nazneen replied, ‘Abba, it is good that you have chosen my husband. I hope I can be a good wife, like Amma’.
- Abba gathered the family over lunch as he did every time he had something important to talk about.