1(In the New Testament) God as father: ‘Abba, Father,’ he said, ‘all things are possible to you’
More example sentences
- The most important thing is the presence of God with us, and loving this Abba as we are first loved.
- We are all born to this Abba who takes us in regardless of our birthright, race, gender, language, or social status.
- But now only God is to be addressed as abba, stripping the legitimation from existing patriarchal institutions and implicitly undermining all relationships of domination.
2 (abba) Indian Father (often as a familiar form of address in Muslim families).
- Great respect is shown the father or abba, and mother, amma.
- When her father asked if she would like to see a photograph of the man she would marry, Nazneen replied, ‘Abba, it is good that you have chosen my husband. I hope I can be a good wife, like Amma’.
- Abba gathered the family over lunch as he did every time he had something important to talk about.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan