- 1A shortened form of a word or phrase: SKU is the abbreviation for Stock Keeping UnitMore example sentences
shortened form, short form, contraction, elision, acronym, initialism, symbol, diminutiveshortening, reduction, cutting, cutting short/down, contraction, condensation, compression, abridgement, truncation, clipping, cropping, paring down, pruning, shrinking, constricting, telescoping
- Electronic records also contained significantly more words, abbreviations, and symbols.
- Doctors and nurses worked rapidly around her speaking in clipped phrases and abbreviations.
- It's generally accepted that you can use acronyms and abbreviations without explanation, where the term is well known by the audience.
- 1.1 [mass noun] The process of abbreviating something: nursing records must be written without abbreviationMore example sentences
- What are the consequences of that abbreviation of this story on the democratic process?
- The device of dialogue allows abbreviation of statements without loss of clarity.
- They have exploited this radical abbreviation of focal length to develop a prototype of a credit-card-thin camera.