- An East Asian shrub of the honeysuckle family, typically having small tubular pink or white flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Abelia, family Caprifoliaceae
- Summer- and fall-blooming shrubs include such plants as abelia, beautyberry, butterfly bush, rose of Sharon, crepe myrtle and summersweet.
- Protect garden beds exposed to the wind with a hedge of glossy abelia.
- The glossy abelia, a hybrid derived from species native to China, is the most commonly cultivated form.
modern Latin; named after Clarke Abel (1780–1826), English botanist.