Definition of abhor in English:
verb (abhors, abhorring, abhorred)[with object]
Regard with disgust and hatred: he abhorred sexism in every form
More example sentences
- Healthcare professionals abhor politicians' interference in the NHS.
- It also means sitting down with someone, someone who is not abhorred or hated, to have a conversation.
- However, it obviously cannot involve either, because the university is famously progressive, and hence abhors both sins.
- abhorrer noun
- Example sentences
- Watchers are notorious pencil sharpeners, ribbon changers, plant waterers, home repairers and abhorrers of messy rooms or messy pages.
- Your enemies and abhorrers look on with mild amusement.
- Allowing companies to choose their compliancy would satisfy both adorers and abhorrers of the law.
Late Middle English: from Latin abhorrere, from ab- 'away from' + horrere 'to shudder'.
Words that rhyme with abhoradore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.