Inspiring disgust and loathing; repugnant: racism was abhorrent to us all
More example sentences
- It's as abhorrent and repellent and disgusting to me as it ever was.
- The combination of horrific makeup, abhorrent timing, and trite jokes has literally become painful.
- The idea that covenant marriage ought to be sanctioned by the state is illiberal, reprehensible and abhorrent.
detestable, detested, hateful, hated, loathsome, loathed, despicable, despised, abominable, abominated, execrable, execrated, repellent, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, disgusting, distasteful, horrible, horrid, horrifying, awful, heinous, reprehensible, obnoxious, odious, nauseating, offensive, contemptible
late 16th century: from Latin abhorrent- 'shuddering away from in horror', from the verb abhorrere (see abhor).
- More example sentences
- It is not uncommon for the airline staff to treat him abhorrently.
- The scenes of appalling neglect we witnessed in these sheds were abhorrently cruel.
- Those who vocalised their prejudices so abhorrently midweek did not speak for an entire country.