Definition of ablation in English:
1The surgical removal of body tissue.
- Treatment by surgical excision or physical ablation of the excess tissue may improve cosmetic appearance.
- All seven patients with diverticula of the CS who were not treated with catheter or surgical ablation eventually died.
- Endometrial ablation is the first surgical advance in the treatment of menorrhagia since hysterectomy.
2The removal of snow and ice from a glacier or iceberg by melting or evaporation.
- A glacier forms whenever the accumulation of snow/ice exceeds ablation over a sustained period of time.
- It provides an estimate of how much precipitation or temperature change must be invoked to explain the current net ablation of the glacier.
- Searches were delayed until June, when snow ablation was 90% complete.
2.1The erosion of rock, typically by wind action.
- The stream loads will likely experience almost continual aggradation and ablation.
- Potassic minerals were degassed with an argon laser probe using step heating or direct ablation of grains on thin rock sections.
- Some slopes are steep and sharply incise ancient surfaces of ablation, as is the case south of PA2 and PA4.
2.2The loss of surface material from a spacecraft or meteorite through evaporation or melting caused by friction with the atmosphere.
- This thing came screaming down through the Martian atmosphere and it underwent some ablation.
- The most effective thermal protection method for single re-entry vehicles was ablation.
- Deceleration of meteorites begins high in the atmosphere where the surface of the incoming body heats up to incandescence causing melting and ablation.
- Example sentences
- Thus, if continental ice sheets formed at all, they would have been ablated as the ice age got into high gear.
- Drying winds slowly ablate away the ice from the material, leaving them soft and dry, although still very cold, by the next day.
- The laser beam zaps a pinhead-sized area on the target, ablating or vaporizing it.
Words that rhyme with ablationaeration, agnation, Alsatian, Amerasian, Asian, aviation, cetacean, citation, conation, creation, Croatian, counterdemonstration, counterproliferation, crustacean, curation, Dalmatian, delation, dilation, donation, duration, elation, fixation, Galatian, geolocation, glocalization, gyration, Haitian, halation, Horatian, ideation, illation, lavation, legation, libation, location, lunation, mutation, natation, nation, negation, notation, nutation, oblation, oration, ovation, potation, relation, rogation, rotation, Sarmatian, sedation, Serbo-Croatian, station, staycation, taxation, Thracian, vacation, vexation, vocation, zonation
Definition of ablation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan