Definition of ableism in English:
Discrimination in favour of able-bodied people: we were fed up with the ableism of the women’s movement
More example sentences
- As Suzanne Pharr points out, ‘it is virtually impossible to view one oppression… in isolation because they are all connected: sexism, racism, homophobia, classism, ableism, anti-Semitism, ageism ‘.
- She believes that classes in children's and young adult literature must include works that discuss racism, classism, ableism, sexism, and homophobia; otherwise, discriminatory attitudes will not change.
- Organizers have dedicated Friday to this year's symposium, which will link sexual diversity with other forms of multicultural diversity and will address homophobia, racism, discrimination and ableism.
- Example sentences
- Continued racist, sexist, homophobic, ageist, and ableist institutions and behavior create particular circumstances for these groups, usually disadvantaging them in their opportunity to develop their capacities.
- Having to face a counselor's insinuations that they are ableist if they want to abort because of fetal disability just adds another burden on women seeking abortions.
- Thomson argues there is now evidence of a departure from and revision of the medicalized ableist legacy to be found in exemplary postmodern black women's writing.
Definition of ableism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan