Discrimination in favour of able-bodied people: we were fed up with the ableism of the women’s movement
More example sentences
- As Suzanne Pharr points out, ‘it is virtually impossible to view one oppression… in isolation because they are all connected: sexism, racism, homophobia, classism, ableism, anti-Semitism, ageism ‘.
- She believes that classes in children's and young adult literature must include works that discuss racism, classism, ableism, sexism, and homophobia; otherwise, discriminatory attitudes will not change.
- Organizers have dedicated Friday to this year's symposium, which will link sexual diversity with other forms of multicultural diversity and will address homophobia, racism, discrimination and ableism.
- More example sentences
- Continued racist, sexist, homophobic, ageist, and ableist institutions and behavior create particular circumstances for these groups, usually disadvantaging them in their opportunity to develop their capacities.
- Having to face a counselor's insinuations that they are ableist if they want to abort because of fetal disability just adds another burden on women seeking abortions.
- Thomson argues there is now evidence of a departure from and revision of the medicalized ableist legacy to be found in exemplary postmodern black women's writing.
Definition of ableism in:
- The US English dictionary