Definition of abortion in English:
1 [mass noun] The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks: concerns such as abortion and euthanasia [count noun]: illegal abortions
More example sentences
- She wished to end her pregnancy, but abortion was illegal in Texas except in cases of extreme danger to the mother.
- The Institute has also argued against abortion, euthanasia and human cloning.
- Let us keep the backyard abortionist out and legalised abortion in as a human right.
1.1The expulsion of a fetus from the womb by natural causes before it is able to survive independently.
- Higher amounts of caffeine may be associated with increased rates of abortion and low birth weight.
- This may result in abortion, premature delivery or Congenital Rubella Syndrome.
- Abortion in a previous pregnancy predisposes to further abortions or stillbirths in subsequent pregnancies.
1.2 Biology The arrest of the development of a seed, fruit, or other organ.
- Moreover, we did not observe increased levels of seed or ovule abortion in any seth mutants.
- High temperature conditions commonly cause flower abscission and seed abortion because of pollination failure.
- In cucumber, a correlation between fruit abortion and vegetative growth rate was also observed.