- A swollen area within body tissue, containing an accumulation of pus: once the abscesses burst, they usually discharge for several days before gradually healing up • figurative one of his priorities as prime minister was to lance the abscess of corruptionMore example sentences
- Surgery may be necessary to drain abscesses, debride infected tissue, or stabilize the spine and relieve spinal cord compression.
- However, subcutaneous injections can cause abscesses and granulomas.
- Cerebral abscesses are typically circumscribed lesions with surrounding vasogenic edema.
- More example sentences
- For a faster recovery from an abscessed tooth, apply a warm-water compress and rinse with warm salt water.
- Locate dental problems such as cavities, abscessed teeth and other tooth and jaw abnormalities
- This allows anesthesia of the area long enough to introduce the blade into the abscessed area for drainage.
mid 16th century: from Latin abscessus 'a going away', from the verb abscedere, from ab- 'away from' + cedere 'go', referring to the elimination of infected matter via the pus.