A swollen area within body tissue, containing an accumulation of pus: once the abscesses burst, they usually discharge for several days before gradually healing up figurative one of his priorities as prime minister was to lance the abscess of corruption
More example sentences
- Surgery may be necessary to drain abscesses, debride infected tissue, or stabilize the spine and relieve spinal cord compression.
- However, subcutaneous injections can cause abscesses and granulomas.
- Cerebral abscesses are typically circumscribed lesions with surrounding vasogenic edema.
mid 16th century: from Latin abscessus 'a going away', from the verb abscedere, from ab- 'away from' + cedere 'go', referring to the elimination of infected matter via the pus.
- More example sentences
- For a faster recovery from an abscessed tooth, apply a warm-water compress and rinse with warm salt water.
- Locate dental problems such as cavities, abscessed teeth and other tooth and jaw abnormalities
- This allows anesthesia of the area long enough to introduce the blade into the abscessed area for drainage.