Definition of abseil in English:
Descend a rock face or other near-vertical surface by using a doubled rope coiled round the body and fixed at a higher point: team members had to abseil down sheer cliffs to reach the couple (as noun abseiling) there are facilities for abseiling and rock climbing
More example sentences
- Last year we got money to spend on playground games, but the bats were soon turned into weapons and the skipping ropes used for abseiling.
- To get off the yacht required abseiling down a rope but I was too scared to make that small jump onto the rope.
- Inspector Kench set up a rope system and abseiled down to rescue the frightened animal, which, to his horror, then tried to escape.
nounBack to top
A descent made by abseiling: a 120 ft abseil
More example sentences
- It was a refreshing change from the office and I tagged along as the team spent the next seven hours setting up anchor systems and despatching members off into pools of freezing water, with abseils ranging from seven to 65m.
- The caving expedition commenced with an abseil into the Elder cave system then through a gap (the first of many) which looked barely big enough to fit through the battery pack for the head lamps, let alone a whole person.
- Phase one began with a morning abseil down a 45m cylinder at Brisbane's Mount Crosby water treatment facility, followed by rafting in the afternoon.
- Example sentences
- Yesterday abseilers from Leeds Climbing Wall were lowered into the well at the tower - the last surviving part of York Castle - to collect coins thrown in by visitors.
- Some 28 anxious abseilers braved the morning's early cold and fog to trade their office desks, chairs and telephones for ropes, harnesses and the satisfaction of meeting a challenge.
- The four month project involves 12 abseilers supplied by Web Access Engineering to carry out work up to 100 ft off the ground.
1930s: from German abseilen, from ab 'down' + Seil 'rope'.
This is from the German verb abseilen, from ab ‘down’ and seil ‘rope’.
Words that rhyme with abseilmonorail • headsail • resale
Definition of abseil in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.