Refraining from an activity or from the consumption of something, especially alcohol: the patients are best advised to be totally abstinent from alcohol
More example sentences
- In order to be eligible to be placed, residents will need to be abstinent from drugs and alcohol and remain so, on or off
- It is therefore highly unlikely that he will be abstinent from alcohol unless he was sectioned and in a locked environment.
- He said that he remained abstinent from alcohol and marijuana for ten years.
late Middle English: via Old French from Latin abstinent- 'abstaining', from the verb abstinere (see abstain).
- More example sentences
- Tho' I am as temperate as a man need be, I no longer live so abstinently as I had done before.
- In prison the "classical" target group for methadone treatments (therapy drop-outs, offenders who are reluctant to live abstinently, who are physically and socially incriminated) is great.
Definition of abstinent in:
- The US English dictionary