Definition of abstracted in English:
Lacking concentration on what is happening around one: she seemed abstracted and unaware of her surroundings an abstracted smile
More example sentences
- Yet when I discuss this with non-lawyer friends, many seem worried in an abstracted fashion, as though surveillance were an inconvenience on the order of a nosy and fussbudgety old neighbor.
- Similarly, Alexander McCulloch is posed in a landscape as if to suggest the naturalness of his abstracted, dreamy state.
- Where More is the most abstracted member of the group, Patensen is the most engaged, though his vacant stare has an abstracted quality of its own.
absent-minded, distracted, preoccupied, absorbed, engrossed, far away, somewhere else, not there, not with us, in a world of one's own, with one's head in the clouds, daydreaming, dreamy, inattentive, thoughtful, pensive, lost in thought, deep in thought, immersed in thought, wool-gathering, in a brown study, musing, brooding, absent, distrait, heedless, oblivious
- Example sentences
- He is looking up abstractedly into the middle distance with a slightly suppressed smile.
- ‘OK Timmy, go show your sister,’ Mrs. Davison said abstractedly, putting a hand on Timmy's shoulder and pushing him gently into the living room.
- While everyone else engages in some form of inward or outward dialogue, they stare abstractedly into space, oblivious to their surroundings.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.