Lacking concentration on what is happening around one: she seemed abstracted and unaware of her surroundings an abstracted smile
More example sentences
- Yet when I discuss this with non-lawyer friends, many seem worried in an abstracted fashion, as though surveillance were an inconvenience on the order of a nosy and fussbudgety old neighbor.
- Similarly, Alexander McCulloch is posed in a landscape as if to suggest the naturalness of his abstracted, dreamy state.
- Where More is the most abstracted member of the group, Patensen is the most engaged, though his vacant stare has an abstracted quality of its own.
absent-minded, distracted, preoccupied, absorbed, engrossed, far away, somewhere else, not there, not with us, in a world of one's own, with one's head in the clouds, daydreaming, dreamy, inattentive, thoughtful, pensive, lost in thought, deep in thought, immersed in thought, wool-gathering, in a brown study, musing, brooding, absent, distrait, heedless, oblivious
informal miles away
- Example sentences
- He is looking up abstractedly into the middle distance with a slightly suppressed smile.
- ‘OK Timmy, go show your sister,’ Mrs. Davison said abstractedly, putting a hand on Timmy's shoulder and pushing him gently into the living room.
- While everyone else engages in some form of inward or outward dialogue, they stare abstractedly into space, oblivious to their surroundings.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ab|stract¦ed
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.