noun (plural acanthamoebae /-ˈmiːbiː/)
- An amoeba of a genus which includes a number that can cause opportunistic infections in humans.
More example sentences
- Genus Acanthamoeba, phylum Rhizopoda
- The youngster contracted an alarming organism known as acanthamoeba through infected tap water while visiting Canada last year, and it began to eat away at his cornea.
- Interestingly, serum enhanced the phagocytic ability of acanthamoebae, as measured by bacterial uptake.
- Also, she says, it is not clear how long acanthamoebae persist in an environment, particularly a marine environment.