Definition of accentuation in English:
1The action or fact of accentuating or of being accentuated: the accentuation of the Treasury’s currency policy a condition with accentuation of female characteristics
More example sentences
- With no subsidiary, secondary accentuation implied, Toscanini forces you to confront the very nature of speed.
- Perhaps, accentuation of this trend is directly proportional to giving a fillip to the village economy, which is now over-dependent on the milch cows, following the failure of agriculture owing to the rain playing truant.
- So, for Tubby's version of the song, he kept things as simple as he could: crank up the bass, the drums, and the looping guitar lick, and strip out all but a smattering of Badoo vocal samples that he uses as accentuation.
1.1The pattern of relative prominence of syllables in a phrase or utterance.
- I found that phrases in the opening got lost because of some odd accentuations.
- They have traditionally attempted to respect the text's accentuation by matching accented syllables to accented beats in the music, thus highlighting both rhythm and sense, often to the benefit of both words and music.
- Indeed, the doctrine of affect - which can be loosely defined as expressive articulation governed by stress and accentuation - was the bread and butter of baroque aesthetics.
Definition of accentuation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.