Definition of acceptor in English:
1A person or thing that accepts something, in particular:
1.1 Chemistry An atom or molecule which is able to bind to or accept an electron or other species: some micro-organisms can use oxygen as an electron acceptor
More example sentences
- The first step of the Calvin cycle is the addition of carbon dioxide to an acceptor molecule.
- The glow of the firefly, which is due to the oxidation of the molecule luciferin, with the enzyme luciferase acting as a catalyst in the oxidation process and oxygen acting as the electron acceptor, is an example of bioluminescence.
- Peroxidases are haem-containing enzymes which mediate oxidation of a variety of molecules using hydrogen peroxide as an electron acceptor.
1.2 Physics An acceptor atom forming a positive hole in a semiconductor.
- Our results suggest that the mechanism of signaling state formation in this new family involves the deprotonation of the FAD chromophore, a process in which a conserved tyrosine may function as the proton acceptor.
- The number of photons needed approaches infinity when the acceptor is completely depolarized.
- The holes likewise leave negative acceptor ions.
Definition of acceptor in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan