noun (plural acciaccaturas or acciaccature)Music
- A grace note performed as quickly as possible before an essential note of a melody.More example sentences
- The composer suggests that one of the middle notes could be taken by the nose but the acciaccatura that proceeds it would preclude this.
- Repeated notes can sound awkward now, and the acciaccaturas of Variation 9 emerge as softened.
- Those I interpret as acciaccaturas are written as simultaneously struck full-length notes - Scarlatti often wrote them as such when they formed part of chords.
Italian, from acciaccare 'to crush'.
More definitions of acciaccaturaDefinition of acciaccatura in:
- The US English dictionary