- A hawk of a group distinguished by short, broad wings and relatively long legs, adapted for fast flight in wooded country.
More example sentences
- Accipiter and related genera, family Accipitridae: numerous species, including the goshawk
- As far as other raptors go, you'd be hard-pressed to mistake an accipiter for a vulture or an eagle.
- The photo plates also age and sex accipiters, those hawks that flap, flap, sail, and are the mostly likely the ones that raid our feeders of hapless birds.
- Broad-wings' movement at the end of the month is not as noticeable on the Cape as it is on the mainland, but one can often see falcons and accipiters moving along the dunes on the Lower Cape.
from Latin, 'hawk, bird of prey'.
More definitions of accipiterDefinition of accipiter in:
- The US English dictionary