Relating to or denoting birds of a family that includes most diurnal birds of prey other than falcons, New World vultures, and the osprey: accipitrine hawks
- Family Accipitridae; treated as a subfamily (Accipitrinae) in this sense when the osprey is included in this family
More example sentences
- The primary predators of all flock participants are accipitrine hawks (Accipiter cooperii or A. striatus).
- With so many details to remember, it is understandable that many birders are intimidated by this accipitrine affinity.
- In the research block, portraits of senior members of the Saudi royal family hang on the walls: impassive, accipitrine faces staring down upon the French scientists recruited to save the bird that is a royal obsession.
Definition of accipitrine in:
- The US English dictionary