- 1 (usually according to) As stated by or in: the outlook for investors is not bright, according to financial expertsMore example sentences
as stated by, as maintained by, as claimed by, on the authority of, on the report of, in the opinion of
- The comments are published on the Danish army website, according to Reuters news agency.
- Buying the club extra time for repayments is the last piece in the financial jigsaw according to the chairman.
- Demand for such schemes is great, and waiting lists can be up to six months, according to some local experts.
- 1.1In a manner corresponding or conforming to: cook the rice according to the instructionsMore example sentences
- For most of the opening half things looked as though they would go exactly according to plan.
- What is clearer however, is that Nationwide's business is not going quite according to plan.
- Even with the best will in the world, however, not all mentoring programmes work according to plan.
- 1.2In proportion or relation to: salary will be fixed according to experienceMore example sentences
- It is allowed to select a proportion of its pupils according to aptitude.
- The authors have divided the woods into five groups according to their relationship to extant plants.
- To my mind, the point is that in an equal relationship each contributes according to their capacity.
- 2 (according as) • formal Depending on whether: the distribution of his property differed widely according as it was real or personal estateMore example sentences
- There have indeed been a variety of bundle theories, differing according as the bundles' constituents and/or structures were different.
- From the whole rose that blended odour of viands, of flowers, of stuff's, of toilet perfumes, which is the characteristic expression of, all social festivities, and which exhilarates or depresses - according as one is new or old to it.
- Its quality differs with its color, according as it is white, red, yellow, or bluish.