(US accretion disk)
- A rotating disc of matter formed by accretion around a massive body (such as a black hole) under the influence of gravitation.More example sentences
- The Blandford-Znajek theory implies that energy flows to particle jets emanating perpendicularly from the accretion disk in certain supermassive black hole systems called quasars.
- As the matter in the accretion disk spirals toward the black hole it is heated to very high temperatures and emits strong highly energetic electromagnetic radiation.
- A Type Ia supernova, on the other hand, if the widely accepted model is correct, involves a white dwarf star, an orbiting companion, and an accretion disk - an inherently asymmetric configuration.
More definitions of accretion discDefinition of accretion disc in:
- The US English dictionary