1A person or thing that accumulates something: he’s a voracious accumulator of economic facts and data rugs are the greatest accumulators of dust and dirt in every house
More example sentences
- A keen accumulator of money, he has always used the media for his own ends - without, it must be said, making a single enemy.
- US assets will need to get cheap enough or offer high enough yields to keep foreigners willing holders and accumulators of US assets.
- Solar radiation passing through the facade is absorbed by water-cooled ceiling panels and the energy transported through a heat exchanger to a heat accumulator.
2British A large rechargeable battery.
- A short circuit of the switches controlling the electricity supply and aged accumulators led to the accident - resulting in trains being halted for over an hour and seriously affecting 450,000 passengers.
- Oh, there were switches, one in each room for the electric light, and there was an early radio set, run on an wet-cell accumulator, that had two knobs on it, but there were no pushbuttons.
- However, within a year of the resort opening, the local technicians couldn't figure out how to service the wind turbines and the batteries for the accumulators.
3British A bet placed on a series of races (or other events), the winnings and stake from each being placed on the next: an eight-horse accumulator
More example sentences
- Racehorse Promotion - owned by the Queen - romped home in the final race of a Tote accumulator at Sandown last Tuesday night, netting the 50-something punter a cool £100,000.
- Catherine and husband Padraic at first thought she had won around €5,000 when her accumulator bet on all races at Fairyhouse yielded seven wins.
- And the introduction of accumulators, where gamblers can win huge sums with a low stake by predicting a series of wins, gave him the odd heart murmur down the years.
4 Computing A register used to contain the results of an arithmetical or logical operation.
- This information in conjunction with steering logic and accumulator registers is used to control the steering and storing of the frame data as it passes through the DMAC to the transmit buffer or from the receive buffer.
- High data protection and data integrity with ECC (error correction counters) in cache memory and accumulator memories.
- 24-bit MAC with a 56-bit accumulator with capabilities for double precision modes when necessary
Definition of accumulator in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.