noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A colourless volatile liquid ketone made by oxidizing isopropanol, used as an organic solvent and synthetic reagent.
- Alternative name: propanone; chemical formula: CH3COCH3
More example sentences
- Solvents permitted in the UK for extraction include acetone, hexane, ethyl acetate, ethyl alcohol, and carbon dioxide.
- Ketones are extensively used as solvents, with acetone being the most well known example.
- These may contain solvents such as toluene, isopropryl alcohol, ethyl and butyl acetates, acetone and other ketones.
More definitions of acetoneDefinition of acetone in:
- The US English dictionary