noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- Of or denoting the acyl radical —C(O)CH3, derived from acetic acid: acetyl chloride an acetyl groupMore example sentences
- The company points to a Harvard research study that shows the plasticizer used - acetyl tributyl citrate - does not cause any health problems.
- Oxaloacetate plus the acetyl group form the six-carbon citric acid, or citrate.
- The footnote also stated that Hoffmann had arranged for several chemical derivatives of salicylic acid to be examined, not just its acetyl ester.
More definitions of acetylDefinition of acetyl in:
- The US English dictionary