noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A compound which occurs throughout the nervous system, in which it functions as a neurotransmitter.More example sentences
- In someone with Alzheimer's, cholinesterase breaks down and destroys acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter chemical.
- All nerve agents act by inhibiting the enzyme acetylcholinesterase, which breaks down the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
- Possible modulators of growth include acetylcholine, dopamine, vasoactive intestinal polypeptide, and glucagon.
More definitions of acetylcholineDefinition of acetylcholine in:
- The US English dictionary