- A small, dry one-seeded fruit that does not open to release the seed.More example sentences
- Fruits of this species are glabrous achenes, with sepals modified into plumose bristles and are frequently wind-dispersed.
- Seed set was estimated as the percentage of cross-pollinated flowers that produced achenes (one-seeded fruits).
- After fertilization, several achenes are produced per capitulum, and seeds are wind-dispersed.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin achaenium, derived irregularly from a- 'not' + Greek khainein 'to gape'.
More definitions of acheneDefinition of achene in:
- The US English dictionary