Successfully bring about or reach (a desired objective or result) by effort, skill, or courage: he achieved his ambition to become a press photographer the killings achieved nothing [no object]: people striving to achieve
More example sentences
- O'Neill has told his players that pretty football must be secondary to achieving the right result.
- The left wing of the attack achieved its objectives but the right wing failed completely.
- We are achieving significant results in reducing crime and the fear of crime.
attain, reach, arrive at; realize, carry off, bring off, pull off, bring about, accomplish, carry through, fulfil, execute, perform, engineer, carry out, bring to fruition, conclude, complete, finish, consummate; earn, win, gain, find, establish, acquire, obtain, procure, come by, get, secure, clinch, seize, wrest, hook, net
Middle English (in the sense 'complete successfully'): from Old French achever 'come or bring to a head', from a chief 'to a head'.
- More example sentences
- We are constantly reviewing our work at Leeds - targets and timescales must be realistic and achievable.
- They help young people reach achievable goals and take advantage of opportunities for development.
- Now all of this is possible and achievable in the space of a few hours.