Definition of achieve in English:
Successfully bring about or reach (a desired objective or result) by effort, skill, or courage: he achieved his ambition to become a press photographer the killings achieved nothing [no object]: people striving to achieve
More example sentences
- O'Neill has told his players that pretty football must be secondary to achieving the right result.
- The left wing of the attack achieved its objectives but the right wing failed completely.
- We are achieving significant results in reducing crime and the fear of crime.
attain, reach, arrive at;
realize, carry off, bring off, pull off, bring about, accomplish, carry through, fulfil, execute, perform, engineer, carry out, bring to fruition, conclude, complete, finish, consummate;
earn, win, gain, find, establish, acquire, obtain, procure, come by, get, secure, clinch, seize, wrest, hook, net
Middle English (in the sense 'complete successfully'): from Old French achever 'come or bring to a head', from a chief 'to a head'.
- Example sentences
- We are constantly reviewing our work at Leeds - targets and timescales must be realistic and achievable.
- They help young people reach achievable goals and take advantage of opportunities for development.
- Now all of this is possible and achievable in the space of a few hours.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan