Definition of achromatic in English:
1Relating to, using, or denoting lenses that transmit light without separating it into constituent colours: achromatic microscopes a lens of achromatic construction
More example sentences
- The modern achromatic compound microscope was invented in 1878, and it was this instrument that added the extra dimension of the microscopic study of tissues to anatomical teaching.
- The 'Barlow lens', a modification of this telescope lens, is a negative achromatic combination of flint glass and crown glass.
- This behavior is also common in two-material waveplates such as achromatic waveplates constructed from quartz and magnesium fluoride plates.
2 literary Without colour: the achromatic gloom
More example sentences
- Lincoln checked her watch and nodded as an emaciated gray bus spluttered dead; pausing on its way to the ring of featureless, achromatic roads which led to the main structure of South Street ferry port.
- Random branches hung aimlessly above her head and the neighbors' rose bushes stretched thinly across their metal fence like an achromatic spider web.
- The ocean, also rather achromatic, kissed the foundation of the towering building, spraying up to the pediment.
Words that rhyme with achromaticacrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
Definition of achromatic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.