Definition of acidophilic in English:
1(Of a cell or its contents) readily stained with acid dyes.
- The tumor cells had elongated blunt-ended nuclei and acidophilic fibrillary cytoplasm.
- Methylene blue stains basophilic constituents of the tissue, whereas erythrocin stains the acidophilic elements.
- When eosin is used as a tissue stain, the acidophilic structures are sometimes referred to as eosinophilic.
2(Of a microorganism or plant) growing best in acidic conditions.
- The conditions at Champagne Pool are ideal for thermophilic, mildly acidophilic archaeans such as the Sulfobales and Thermoproteales.
- The cooperatives, undisputed market leaders in the production of acidophilic plants for garden centres, cannot give up on a policy of research.
- The benefits of liming catchments have also been questioned on conservation grounds as some naturally acidophilic plant communities would be damaged.
Definition of acidophilic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan