- 1(Of a cell or its contents) readily stained with acid dyes.More example sentences
- The tumor cells had elongated blunt-ended nuclei and acidophilic fibrillary cytoplasm.
- Methylene blue stains basophilic constituents of the tissue, whereas erythrocin stains the acidophilic elements.
- When eosin is used as a tissue stain, the acidophilic structures are sometimes referred to as eosinophilic.
- 2(Of a microorganism or plant) growing best in acidic conditions.More example sentences
- The conditions at Champagne Pool are ideal for thermophilic, mildly acidophilic archaeans such as the Sulfobales and Thermoproteales.
- The cooperatives, undisputed market leaders in the production of acidophilic plants for garden centres, cannot give up on a policy of research.
- The benefits of liming catchments have also been questioned on conservation grounds as some naturally acidophilic plant communities would be damaged.
More definitions of acidophilicDefinition of acidophilic in:
- The US English dictionary