Definition of acinus in English:
noun (plural acini ˈasɪnʌɪ)Anatomy
1A small sac-like cavity in a gland, surrounded by secretory cells.
- The mass also contained cystic spaces lined by columnar epithelium, sebaceous glands, cartilage, smooth muscle, and pancreatic acini.
- Small residual ducts and islands of intact salivary gland acini predominantly composed of serous-type glandular epithelium were present.
- The airway wall is composed of many interrelated structural components such as epithelium, connective tissue, vessels, muscle, and mucus-secreting gland acini.
2A region of the lung supplied with air from one of the terminal bronchioles.
- Primary bronchiolar disorders are separated from diseases primarily affecting more distal components of the pulmonary acinus and large airway diseases in which prominent secondary bronchiolar changes may be seen.
- A spectrum of airborne organic particulate matter, appropriately sized to reach pulmonary acini, produces this disease.
- Emphysema is classified into three subtypes based on the portion of the acinus that is involved.
Mid 18th century: Latin, literally 'a kernel'.
- Example sentences
- However, the extent to which such results are applicable to acinar cells is not clear.
- The granulomatous process exclusively affected the small airways in an acinar distribution.
- What collagen is present is usually found associated with the acinar pattern.
Definition of acinus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan