Definition of aconite in English:
1A poisonous plant of the buttercup family, bearing hooded pink or purple flowers and found in temperate regions of the northern hemisphere.
- This would allow for the use of a variety of familiar medicinal herbs, including poisonous plants like aconite.
- Other plants in the fragrant garden include a cherry plum which is allegedly a remedy for stress and anxiety and aconite, a toxic plant which in small doses is claimed to be good for colds.
- Saturn also rules over many of the herbs that are potentially poisonous or toxic (eg., aconite, helleborus, nightshade).
1.1 [mass noun] An extract of aconite, used as a poison or in pharmacy.
- The Three Arterial Sedatives: veratrum, aconite and gelsemium.
- In fact baking or cooking for a long time in pressurized hot water can help to neutralize the toxic aconitum in raw aconite.
- In the Book of Venoms, he listed arsenic, aconite, hellebore, laurel, opium, bryony, mandrake, leopard's gall, and menstrual blood.
2 (also winter aconite) A small herbaceous Eurasian plant, cultivated for its yellow flowers in early spring.
- Genus Eranthis, family Ranunculaceae: several species
- Pack spaces with spring bulbs - aconites, miniature daffodils, little tulips - anything you fancy.
- One of the earliest is the winter aconite Eranthis hymalis, whose little rounded yellow flowers start appearing shortly after New Year.
- Here there's a nice 1898 Arts and Crafts style house, sheltered by beech copses with kettle nest boxes and carpeted yellow by winter aconites.
Definition of aconite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan