Definition of acotyledon in English:
A plant with no distinct seed leaves, especially a fern or moss.
- One of these determinables is number of cotyledons under which fall the determinates acotyledon, monocotyledon, and dicotyledon.
- Jussieu classifies plants on the basis of cotyledons, and divides all plants into acotyledons, monocotyledons, and dicotyledons.
- Acotyledons are plants not furnished with cotyledons or seed-lobes, such as ferns, mosses and sea-weeds.
- Example sentences
- Article 620 - The name ‘Mushroom’ applies to the product formed by the fresh or dried cell tissue of acotyledonous plants (basidiomycetes, hymenomycetes and gastromycetes).
- They formed the first class of plants with the acotyledonous or agamous plants.
- The name Mushroom applies to the product formed by the fresh or dried cell tissue of acotyledonous plants.
Definition of acotyledon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.