Excessively interested in acquiring money or material things: we live in a competitive and acquisitive society
More example sentences
- Britain was on the eve of the acquisitive era of material greed: fibre-optic lamps and brown leather sofas were already ubiquitous status symbols.
- They probably all drive People Carriers and conversation is solely about one-upmanship, acquisitive materialism and diets.
- Life is just one big vain, greedy, acquisitive, covetous, furious orgy - and then you die.
greedy, hoarding, covetous, avaricious, possessive, grasping, grabbing, predatory, avid, rapacious, mercenary, materialistic, money-oriented
North American informal grabby
Australian informal hungry
rare quaestuary, Mammonish, Mammonistic
- Example sentences
- The company has little firepower to grow acquisitively - a fact which can only hinder its organic progress.
- With Johnson likely to be back, England will be expected to contest the ball a deal more fiercely and acquisitively than they did for the last hour against Italy.
- We've already said that we are acquisitively minded, and so we now intend to try England to add to our staff.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.