Excessively interested in acquiring money or material things: we live in a competitive and acquisitive society
More example sentences
- Britain was on the eve of the acquisitive era of material greed: fibre-optic lamps and brown leather sofas were already ubiquitous status symbols.
- They probably all drive People Carriers and conversation is solely about one-upmanship, acquisitive materialism and diets.
- Life is just one big vain, greedy, acquisitive, covetous, furious orgy - and then you die.
greedy, hoarding, covetous, avaricious, possessive, grasping, grabbing, predatory, avid, rapacious, mercenary, materialistic, money-oriented
North American informal grabby
Australian informal hungry
rare quaestuary, Mammonish, Mammonistic
- More example sentences
- The company has little firepower to grow acquisitively - a fact which can only hinder its organic progress.
- With Johnson likely to be back, England will be expected to contest the ball a deal more fiercely and acquisitively than they did for the last hour against Italy.
- We've already said that we are acquisitively minded, and so we now intend to try England to add to our staff.