Definition of act of contrition in English:
1(In the Roman Catholic Church) a penitential prayer: we said an act of contrition together
More example sentences
- Faustus considers the acts of contrition, prayer, and repentance, and concludes that they are merely foolishness.
- When we say the act of contrition, at least the old act of contrition, in the Catholic Church, we say, ‘I firmly resolve, with the help of thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life, amen.’
- We will have to listen to what our critics are saying and not just dismiss them out of hand, and sometime we may even have to offer an act of contrition.
1.1Something done to make amends for an offence.
- From the FAA's point of view, the very process of filing the report is considered an act of contrition by the pilot.
- There is, of course, a tradition of public acts of contrition.
- She would be applauded by the Irish people for making such an act of contrition on their behalf.
Definition of act of contrition in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan