noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A technique of analysis in which atoms of a particular element in a sample are made radioactive, typically by irradiation with neutrons, and their concentration is then determined radiologically: [count noun]: instrumental neutron activation analyses were performedMore example sentences
- The major-oxide compositions were established by X-ray fluorescence, and trace and rare earth elements by instrumental neutron activation analysis, and ICP analysis.
- It is usually the case in neutron activation analysis that both unknown samples and standard materials containing known elemental concentrations are irradiated with thermal neutrons in a nuclear reactor.
- Neutron activation analysis is a method of producing radioisotopes in very small samples of a material.
More definitions of activation analysisDefinition of activation analysis in:
- The US English dictionary