A person who actively takes responsibility and initiative in areas of public concern such as crime prevention and the local community.
More example sentences
- The revival of Oldham must begin with active citizens and empowered communities prepared to take responsibility.
- There is no reason why scourges such as lingering poverty, drugs, violence, crime and prejudice cannot be dealt with by active citizens of vibrant communities.
- Neighborhoods of homeowners - whether in a city or a suburb - become something more than collections of houses; they evolve into communities of active citizens.
active citizenship noun
- More example sentences
- It will be all about preparing young people for the active citizenship which the winners of this year's awards have so ably shown.
- Volunteers will receive a discount in their council tax bills as part of a drive to build a new culture of active citizenship and moral responsibility, the Labour manifesto will say this week.
- The problem is there hasn't been a major initiative to increase active citizenship and allow people to take on their responsibilities.