- The playing of a direct role in the operational work of the police or armed forces as opposed to doing administrative work: the number of policemen on active duty was doubledMore example sentences
- Officers due for suspension have often in practice remained on active duty at the same police station in which the offence was committed.
- An initial tour in the Army could consist of time spent in the National Guard and on active duty.
- Officers continue on active duty and receive all regular pay and allowances from the Army.
More definitions of active dutyDefinition of active duty in:
- The US English dictionary