noun[mass noun] Physiology
- The immunity which results from the production of antibodies by the immune system in response to the presence of an antigen. Compare with passive immunity.More example sentences
- Vaccination provides active immunity because our immune systems have had the time to recognize the invading germ and then to begin production of specific antibodies for the germ.
- This vaccine is designed to stimulate both antibody and T-cell responses and to generate active immunity at mucosal surfaces, the first site of viral assault during most HIV infections.
- Researchers expended considerable effort to develop methods of active immunity to prevent scarlet fever, as well as methods of passive immunity to treat scarlet fever.
More definitions of active immunityDefinition of active immunity in:
- The US English dictionary