noun[mass noun] Biology
- The movement of ions or molecules across a cell membrane into a region of higher concentration, assisted by enzymes and requiring energy.More example sentences
- Complex processes regulate both passive and active transport across the nuclear membrane.
- The electrocytes establish a charge difference across the cell membranes, presumably by active transport of ions.
- The enzyme isoforms seem to have a tissue-specific expression, showing the highest expression levels in cells where intense active transport is expected to occur.
More definitions of active transportDefinition of active transport in:
- The US English dictionary