1 Entomology (Of an insect) having a sting.
- Almost all adult aculeate wasps and bees drink nectar for their own nourishment and are therefore flower visitors and worthy of consideration as potential pollinators.
- Phylogenetic relationships between six wasp and bee species, Apis mellifera, and several other similar aculeate Hymenoptera were determined.
A stinging insect of a group that includes the bees, wasps, and ants.
- Section Aculeata, suborder Apocrita, order Hymenoptera
- Larval kleptoparasites of solitary aculeates are also found in the Bombyliidae and Chloropidae.
- For many aculeates this involves the availability of bare ground, usually sandy, sometimes firm, sometimes loose and in various aspects ranging from flat ground to vertical banks and cliffs.
- After all the years, I'm still keen to watch butterflies and moths, and more recently to collect aculeates.
Mid 17th century: from Latin aculeatus, from aculeus 'a sting', diminutive of acus 'needle'.
Words that rhyme with aculeateJuliet
Definition of aculeate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.