1A device for connecting pieces of equipment that cannot be connected directly: the adapter converts the lens focal length to 5.5 mm a tube fixed to the cleaner by means of an adapter
More example sentences
- It is an adaptor that converts the analog signal that is generated by your standard phone into a digital signal.
- There's also a connector (and an adapter if you need it) for handling different types of monitors.
- As mentioned earlier, there are two adapters to convert the DVI connections for standard VGA use.
1.1A device for connecting several electric plugs to one socket.
- A North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said the cause of the blaze was an overloaded electrical socket adapter.
- So picture me, kneeling on my bed, trying to jiggle loose this plug, which is plugged into a six-plug adapter.
- The overloaded adaptor was removed and John was asked to plug the toaster in safely.
2A person who adapts a text to make it suitable for filming, broadcasting, or the stage.
- There are many traps that Shakespeare film adaptors can fall into - too noisy, too simplified, too much emoting, acting that fails to convey the words with meaning.
- Nor does it demonstrate that only writers can escape the label of adapter, since there are several noted film adapters sanctified by the name of auteur.
- BBC Four presents a season of work this Christmas by the prolific BAFTA and Emmy Award-winning writer and adapter Andrew Davies.
Definition of adapter in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.