Definition of adapter in English:
1A device for connecting pieces of equipment that cannot be connected directly: the adapter converts the lens focal length to 5.5 mm a tube fixed to the cleaner by means of an adapter
More example sentences
- It is an adaptor that converts the analog signal that is generated by your standard phone into a digital signal.
- There's also a connector (and an adapter if you need it) for handling different types of monitors.
- As mentioned earlier, there are two adapters to convert the DVI connections for standard VGA use.
1.1A device for connecting several electric plugs to one socket.
- A North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said the cause of the blaze was an overloaded electrical socket adapter.
- So picture me, kneeling on my bed, trying to jiggle loose this plug, which is plugged into a six-plug adapter.
- The overloaded adaptor was removed and John was asked to plug the toaster in safely.
2A person who adapts a text to make it suitable for filming, broadcasting, or the stage.
- There are many traps that Shakespeare film adaptors can fall into - too noisy, too simplified, too much emoting, acting that fails to convey the words with meaning.
- Nor does it demonstrate that only writers can escape the label of adapter, since there are several noted film adapters sanctified by the name of auteur.
- BBC Four presents a season of work this Christmas by the prolific BAFTA and Emmy Award-winning writer and adapter Andrew Davies.
Definition of adapter in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan