adjective(usually addicted to)
- When I was 21 I went to prison for the first time and by then I was addicted to heroin.
- The proposals would force young people addicted to heroin and cocaine to either submit to treatment or face the full force of the law.
- We estimate that some 20,000 young people are currently addicted to heroin and cocaine.
- Children addicted to computers are being sent on camping holidays designed to help them kick the habit.
- I have learned to be spiritual and meditate a lot, and I am addicted to the computer.
- David James was famously addicted to computer games back in his Liverpool days.
Mid 16th century: from the obsolete adjective addict 'bound or devoted (to someone'), from Latin addict- 'assigned', from the verb addicere, from ad- 'to' + dicere 'say'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ad|dict¦ed
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.