Definition of adiabatic in English:
1Relating to or denoting a process or condition in which heat does not enter or leave the system concerned: the adiabatic expansion of a perfect gas
More example sentences
- This is what makes the air cooler higher up: the process is called adiabatic expansion/compression.
- The quantum and classical Carnot engines therefore operate in the same way - a closed cycle of two isothermal and two adiabatic processes.
- Working closely with environmental engineers, Arup New York, it settled on a passive climate controlled system known as adiabatic cooling, which takes advantage of the hot arid climate.
1.1Impassable to heat.
nounBack to top
- adiabatically adverb
- Example sentences
- Most current machines can therefore rely on inertial cooling - in other words the components are simply allowed to heat up adiabatically and then cooled slowly between pulses.
- The latter ensures that a ‘fossil record’ of any heating or cooling is kept even if the gas subsequently changes its pressure adiabatically (under energy conservation).
- The batch of mantle ascends adiabatically, whereas the geotherm becomes conductive.
Late 19th century: from Greek adiabatos 'impassable', from a- 'not' + dia 'through' + batos 'passable' (from bainein 'go'), + -ic.
Definition of adiabatic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.