chiefly • literary
- Goodbye.More example sentences
- I shall return presently with trans-Tasman tales of fun, frolics and fermented beverages… adieu!
- If sight and shape be true, why then, my love adieu!
- In other words, it's impossible to adapt anymore, so adieu.
noun (plural adieus or adieux /əˈdjuːz/)Back to top
- A goodbye: he whispered a fond adieuMore example sentences
- Also on the 23rd, oddball underground rapper NerdX will bid his adieus and release his latest recording at the Carpenter's Union Hall in Kensington.
- Connie, Larry and I bid our adieus and took an an early evening bar hop down Christopher Street, which included smart drinks at The Monster, Stonewall, The Hangar and Ty's.
- What better a way to spend a cold winter night than in front of the computer with a bottle of Scotch and box of Kleenex writing gushing adieus to those you love?
late Middle English: from Old French, from a 'to' + Dieu 'God'; compare with adios.